Exchange to Office 365 Migration Guide – Helping End-Users
Plot: This is not just an article it is the entire Exchange to Office 365 migration guide. Use this guide to learn the methods for the migration process and understand the complications or easiness of the given methods. Let’s start with it!
There have come many cases where a ton of users try to migrate to Office 365 (a web-based email service). This is because emailing over the cloud is now accepted by over millions of users.
Also, this is beneficial for employees in the pandemic situation since all the data is available on the cloud and users do not have to go anywhere.
So, the Exchange to Office 365 migration guide will explain all the methods there are for this type of migration.
We all know that there has been a rapid increase in the use of cloud computing for which most businesses are switching to Office 365.
Microsoft 365 is a choice of the majority because it provides various communication, collaboration, & productivity abilities.
However, the migration process is filled with complications and it also gives headaches to new users.
Let’s see how this procedure can be made easier with the help of this guide.
You would Love to Read: How to Export Office 365 Calendar to PST – Updated Step-Guide of 2021
Explained Methods from the Exchange to Office 365 Migration Guide
4 methods are there using which you can move further with the migration process.
As, these are listed below:
- Cutover Migration
- Staged Migration
- Hybrid Migration
- Smart Migration (Expert’s way)
All of these migration methods are described in the same order along with all the drawbacks or the advantages they consist of.
What Factors to Consider for the Migration Method?
Consider the following:
- The time needed for migration
- Migration budget
- Data to migrate easily
- Existing email system
- A version of the Exchange server
If you know all of these, get to the methods.
Method 1 – Cutover Migration from Exchange to Office 365 Migration Guide
With the help of this method, you can immediately move from the Exchange On-Premise system. Everything included in your account will migrate at once without losing a bit of data in this process.
It includes mailboxes, contacts, & distribution groups but there is no option to select certain items or categories to migrate.
This method works for Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, & 2013 and only if there are less than 2,000 mailboxes that need to be migrated.
Moreover, it is recommended for the companies having less than 150 users to perform a cutover migration.
Remember: To use this method from Exchange to Office 365 migration guide, Outlook profile needs to be re-configured to connect with Office 365.
Also Read: Office 365 Tenant To Tenant Migration Different Domain – Step By Step Guide
Method 2 – Staged Migration from the Method Guide
The Staged Migration method migrates all the data to Office 365 in batches. Only the users of Exchange 2003 or 2007 can use this method to transition their data.
For the medium-sized companies having over 2,000 mailboxes, this method is suitable.
Using this method, you can move mailboxes in batches over a certain time period. You will have to use the Directory Sync Tool to replicate your account from the Active Directory Database of Exchange.
Method 3 – Hybrid Migration from Exchange to Office 365 Migration Guide
For using the Hybrid Migration method, you need to first create a hybrid environment. To do so, you can integrate Microsoft 365 with the On-premise server and the existing directory services.
After doing this, it will become easy for you to synchronize and manage the user accounts on both the platforms.
With this migration method, you will have the option to move the mailboxes in and out of Office 365.
Along with that, it will become possible to choose the mailboxes that you want to migrate or keep on the Exchange server.
From the Exchange to Office 365 migration guide, this method is the only one that allows you to synchronize the passwords.
You can apply this method for migrating over 2,000 mailboxes on Exchange server 2010 and later versions.
Method 4 – Smart Migration as Recommended by Experts
To start with this method, you first need to download the Exchange to Office 365 Migration Tool.
With the help of this software, you can export the files without losing even a bit of data during the transition.
It has the ability to perform the procedure painlessly and in a flawless manner.
Steps of the Tool from Exchange to Office 365 Migration Guide
- Launch the tool and activate it to start the whole process in a more secure and smooth way. Select the Setup option and choose Exchange as Source and Office 365 as Destination.
- Mark the checkboxes for the Category you want to migrate data from in the Workload Selection Choose the given Date-filter for migrating selective data.
- Go to the Source Window and enter the details asked for the Exchange account. Click on the Validate option and hit Next.
- Enter the credentials for Office 365 account and Validate the permissions. Move further as explained by Exchange to Office 365 migration guide by pressing Next.
- Click on the Fetch Users option to add the mailbox users and hit the Continue button.
- Make sure to set the priorities for any mailbox you want to export earlier and hit the Start Migration button provided in this tool.
You will soon find that the data has been migrated to your destination account without any single casualty.
Now, you must be wondering why should you go for the software. It will explain below.
Barriers of Manual Methods Covered by the Tool
- The other methods explained in this Exchange to Office 365 migration guide do not promise a safe migration. Whereas, the software provides a safe and secure procedure to keep the data intact.
- The procedure being really complicated, there is a requirement of highly technical user skills. If not, the procedure cannot be performed with success.
The tool, on the other hand, doesn’t require any technical skills and has an easy user interface that user can easily understand by themselves without any technical expertise.
- Manually, a lot of time will waste due to the complexity of the method and becomes a lengthy one.
While using the tool from Exchange to Office 365 migration guide, there will not a lot of time waste, it will take only a few minutes, and the data will transfer safely without any hassle to the destination.
- In the manual methods, you will not be able to transfer only the newly arrived data as the selection is difficult.
However, the software offers a Delta Migration option, designed especially for moving only the newly arrived files with no duplicity issue.
You might find this helpful: Learn how to perform Office 365 tenant to tenant migration step by step
Reaching the End
The need for migrating to the cloud has risen up and a lot many users have been looking for the right methods. This Exchange to Office 365 migration guide has explained the methods for migration along with the smart solution. Pick the right one as per your requirements.
Moreover, we have successfully discussed the manual as well as the automated solution for the above data transfer operation. Users are advised to choose from these respectively according to their needs. However, it is always suggested to use automated software to fulfil these operations needs in a more secure way with maximum data protection and integrity.