So that your move does not turn into an episode from a horror movie, we propose to master the skill of packing things and learn a special Zen – how to survive the move without a nervous breakdown. Open notebooks, take out pens: we begin our lecture on the topic “How to pack properly when moving without automated palletizer”
And traditionally, we start with a theory – what problems can arise during packaging? Most of all, when you move, you are afraid that you will lose something. Fear: this will surely happen if you break the order of packing things, namely, if you start collecting everything in a chaotic mode, without any logic. Therefore, problem # 1 when packing things is the lack of consistency: people start throwing everything indiscriminately into boxes. Needless to say, parsing things in a new apartment will become a game “Find it if you can”?
The second problem with packaging is quality. This is when boxes of clothes do not take up half of your truck when you don’t have to put together a broken set in a new apartment when books are not soaked along the way with an incomprehensible liquid. In order to avoid commonplace mistakes, it is enough to know the simple rules for packing things.
Each of us at least once in his life changed his place of residence. Therefore, we all have an idea of what an important, responsible and exciting event is – moving. Proper organization of the packaging and transportation of things will allow you not only to keep them in perfect condition but also to save time when arranging your new nest. To learn how to pack clothes for the move, while spending the minimum amount of effort and money, read our article.
How to pack your moving clothes
In preparation for moving to a new place of residence, you will need to not only empty and prepare furniture for transport, but also securely pack all your existing clothes. Therefore, we recommend that you take note of several important packaging rules:
- when dividing clothes into groups, you should focus on two reasons: the season and the owner (children’s sweaters, men’s pants, women’s dresses);
- polypropylene bags will perfectly protect your clothes from dirt and mechanical damage;
- in order to save space, it is better to connect the packages to each other using adhesive tape;
- be sure to write the appropriate labels on each stack.
How to pack your moving clothes correctly?
For these purposes, it is recommended to use special polypropylene products, which will make it possible to form piles of clothes and secure them securely. In such packaging, you can transport any wardrobe items without worrying about the safety of their appearance:
- fur coats, short fur coats, cloaks;
- coats made of natural wool, including those with collars;
- business suits.
It is worth noting that you can not only pack clothes for moving in vacuum bags but also use them for further storage of non-seasonal items (jackets, down jackets) and spare bedding sets.
That is, all things that take up a lot of space can be packed in sealed bags, using a special device (or a simple vacuum cleaner) to pump out excess air and thus save the maximum amount of free space. If you have a lot of bulky items of clothing, try to choose packages of the appropriate size. After moving, the vacuum bag will need to be opened, the clothes shook, possibly washed and ironed – and the previous shape will be returned.
You can buy vacuum bags or covers for clothes in stores with goods for the home, hypermarkets, or order on one of the Internet trading platforms.
What packaging to use for different things
Mindfulness test: this is a chandelier with glass shades and two chairs. How will you pack it all? Most likely, you will wrap the chandelier in the stretch, and the chairs will go for loading as they are. If so, you did not pass the test. The lampshades from the chandelier must be removed and put in a box, wrapped in a bubble first, and the base of the chandelier, which is most often made of metal, must be placed separately in a box or bag. Two chairs easily turn into one if you put them on top of each other, leaning against the seats, then the structure, so that it does not fall apart, is wrapped in film. The same trick can be done with stools from Ikea: they are very easy to stack on top of each other, and 6 stools turn into one compact stack.
All this “street magic” is successfully combined with different types of packaging:
- bubble wrap (bubble) – for everything glass, fragile and breakable;
- stretch (transparent film) – for any items to protect them from dust;
- cardboard boxes – for personal belongings, clothes, shoes, dishes;
- string or clothesline – in order to tie a stack of books, boxes of shoes, etc.;
- large bags (plastic, canvas, paper) – for clothes, blankets, blankets, curtains.
Additionally, you will need tape, markers, and scissors for packaging.
How to pack household and digital appliances
Separate the equipment from the wires. Twist the wires and tape them directly to the printer, TV, computer, etc. It is easiest to transport large household appliances in their original packaging, but if there is no one left, then wrap the appliances in the stretch so that the coating is not damaged, and all elements are securely fastened (for example, so that the power socket in the washing machine does not fall out).
How to pack dishes
Wrap crystal and glass items separately in bubble wrap. Here you can use kitchen towels, which are convenient for laying dishes, and items of clothing. Stick strips of tape on the mirror surfaces. Always put large objects on the bottom of the box, place everything light on top.
How to pack books
Books are stacked in separate boxes and never coexist with anything else. No household chemicals, liquids or drinks nearby! If you have time, you can sort the literature alphabetically, so it will be easier to arrange the books in your new home.
How to pack small personal items and accessories
For small items, use boxes with lids, which are additionally secured with tape. Be sure to sign the box so you know what’s inside so you don’t have to look for the item you need for a long time.
How to Avoid Mistakes When Packing Moving Clothes
- Do not put jewelry in clothing boxes. So you can easily lose your favorite items, as well as damage the delicate fabric of your clothes when you move.
- Pack only dry and clean clothing. Wrapping damp items can lead to mold, and dirty clothes can lead to the spread of unpleasant odors.
- When moving, it is recommended to separate clothes made of delicate fabrics with layers of paper towels or cloth.
- In order to preserve the shape of the hats, capacious boxes of dense material should be allocated for their packaging.
- It is advisable to place heavy objects and products at the bottom of the boxes, and light ones to be folded on top.
- If you want to wrap your garments for a fairly long period of time, be sure to pack insect repellent in the boxes. Spiders, ants, and other pests like to settle in warm fabric.
- For transporting very heavy items, it is recommended to prepare several boxes. By placing small boxes in larger boxes, you dramatically reduce the risk of damage to heavy items when moving.