If you are planning to sell or scrap your used car, let us tell you that it is not a cakewalk. Even if you manage to get the best price for scrap cars from the best car wreckers Sydney, you will have to make sure that you do not invite any legal troubles. This is why knowing how the legislation varies across all Australian states is important for you. You must also cancel the registration of your car before you scrap it. If your car gets into an accident or carries out any illegal activities, there are chances that you might face legal complexities without any fault. Hence we have laid down all the information you need before you scrap your car.
What you must know before scrapping your car
Scrapping a car is not a complex procedure. However, you must know about all the legal formalities and conditions attached to the procedure. Once the vehicle is hauled away, the property no longer belongs to you. Remove everything from the glove box, under the seats, and in the trunk of your car before they come to collect the vehicle. The key here is that you want to ensure you only do business with a reputable and law-abiding establishment. Here is what you need to know:
Must Read: Advantage Of Playing With RC Cars
You cannot drive a car if it is considered scrap
If your car is a statutory write-off, you are not allowed to drive it on roads. You might want to contact the nearest car removal service providers to sell your used car to wreckers before you face legal repercussions.
Make sure that you have the vehicle registration with you
It is necessary for scrap cars removal companies to have identification proof of both the vehicle and the owner. Ensure that you have the information about the vehicle’s registration. We then travel to different location to inspect the vehicle. Our inspections take about 10 minutes and once complete, we ask the vehicle owner to sign the sales contract and provide them with the cash.
The only chore we require from the vehicle owner is to provide us with the title of ownership and to count their cash. This is usually done to help solve the problem of the car theft trade. Moreover, you cannot dispose of a vehicle without having its rights. Gather all your documents before you reach out to car removals.
Do not let your junk cars sit and pollute your surroundings
Scrap cars take up more than just the space in your garage. Scrap cars release chemicals that can be extremely harmful to the environment. You must contact the best car recyclers near you and dispose of your vehicle in an eco-friendly manner. Car recyclers or wreckers will recycle your car to resell the used and recycled auto parts. You also get good cash for cars sydney if you sell them to wreckers.
Cancel the vehicle’s registration
The Australian government requires you to cancel your vehicle’s registration once you do not own it any longer. You will have to inform the authorities that you are no longer the owner of the car. The legalities of scrapping a car differ across Australian states.
Here are some rules and regulations followed in the below mentioned Australian States:
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
The first step to take is to fill out the application for the cancellation of your vehicle’s registration and get it signed by the registered operator
- You must provide an identity proof of the registered operator
- If your vehicle is over 4500 kgs, you will have to provide a statement about the registration label. This can also be declared in the application itself.
- You have to get a receipt of the surrender of number plate from the interstate authority
- In case the number plate has been lost, stolen, or damaged you will have to provide a statutory declaration
New South Wales (NSW)
If you want to cancel a vehicle’s registration in NSW, you will have to go to a registry or service centre with documents mentioned below:
- You must have your identification proof
- Take the certificate of registration of your vehicle
- Take a form of cancellation of vehicle’s registration or cancellation of number plates
- You will also have to surrender your number plates. Must not keep your number plate with you after the cancellation of your vehicle’s registration
- You will have to pay a certain amount for this cancellation procedure
Northern Territory (NT)
Mentioned below are the steps to take when you dispose of a vehicle:
You have to submit a notice of disposal with the Motor Vehicle Registry within 14 days after disposing of your car.
- The notice must contain:
- The name and address of the buyer or the company
- Date of birth of the buyer (this is not required in case you’re selling your car to an organization)
- The date of sale and disposal of your car
- The price that you receive for the car
- A signature from the buyer and the seller
- The registration number of your vehicle
- Do not forget to surrender the number plate to Motor Vehicle Registry.
Your car registration in Victoria will automatically get cancelled if it is not renewed within three months after its expiration. However, if you want to cancel the registration of your car, mentioned below are the documents you have to provide:
- The full name and address of registered vehicle operator
- The vehicle serial number or driver license number of the vehicle operator
- Information about the model, make, and type of vehicle and the vehicle registration number plate
- In case you are cancelling the registration because your vehicle has been written off, you will have to mention the date of the accident
- You must surrender the number plates to any VicRoads Customer Service Centre
If you want to cancel your car’s registration in Queensland, you will have to submit the vehicle/recreational ship cancellation of your vehicle’s registration application. This application is to be taken to any transport and motoring customer service centre. You can also visit the official Queensland Government website for more information and alternatives.
South Australia (SA)
If you want to cancel your scrap cars registration in South Australia, the process is not as complicated. All you have to do is complete the cancellation of vehicle registration application and provide this application to a Service SA customer service centre. Make sure that you also surrender your vehicle’s number plate.
If you want to give up your vehicle’s registration in Tasmania, you have to fill the Notice of Disposal or the Application for Transfer and take it to the Service Centre near you. Do not forget to return the registration place to the Motor Vehicle Registration.
Western Australia (WA)
Disposing of your vehicle in Western Australia is pretty convenient. Some of the parts on your car might be worth more to other buyers than they will be to the scrap yard. Thus, after you have removed your personal effects, you should do some homework to determine what parts are worth money. Take the time to remove those items, and if you can’t do it yourself, call on an experienced mechanic that can help. If you are scrapping your car, all you have to do is give up your number plates to cancel your vehicle registration and keep legal complexities at bay.